Professional pianist Marvin Goldstein returns to BYU’s Education Week

345
Marvin A Goldstein speaks to the audience after playing a song during his class on The Sacrred Music of the Children's Songbook in the Harris Fine Arts Center Wednesday during the 2013 Education Week. Goldstein plans to talk about how music can bring us courage and strength at this years workshop. (Luke Hansen)
Marvin A Goldstein speaks to the audience after playing a song during his class on The Sacrred Music of the Children’s Songbook in the Harris Fine Arts Center Wednesday during the 2013 Education Week. Goldstein plans to talk about how music can bring us courage and strength at this years workshop. (Luke Hansen)

Acclaimed pianist Marvin Goldstein will return to BYU Education Week this year for the 22nd time. He is set to teach multiple classes and to perform in the Harris Fine Arts Center Aug. 18–22.

Goldstein began his musical training at the age of 9 and studied at various schools in Austria and Israel before completing his bachelor’s and master’s of music degrees at Florida State University. He has shared his musical talents in various countries such as Egypt, Israel and Canada.

“Music is a gift. We are to share anything we’ve been given abundantly with others,” Goldstein said.

Goldstein had been performing for 25 years before joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1985. Since he has joined, he said, the church has been very involved in his music career.

“It gave me a huge focus on what was the purpose on all of it, what it has done and what it can do to solve a lot of issues in the world in a positive way,” he said.

Goldstein said his goal this year is for people to get a glimpse of how people around the world feel the Spirit through different kinds of music. One of the songs he will perform is “Ay Ya Zehn,” a traditional Arabic folk song. He will be playing songs from various parts of the world to represent what the Spirit musically feels like to international cultures.

He said his primary message for Education Week this year is to encourage people to understand the spirit of music on a global level.

“To bridge the differences in cultural, religious, political and language differences through music. My hymnbook of instructions and guidelines are directly from the Lord. With regards to what I do, where I go and what I say, it’s a huge responsibility,” Goldstein said.

Joining Goldstein on stage is BYU alumna and vocalist Vanessa Joy, who has been performing with Goldstein since February 2009.

“Music speaks faster to the heart than anything in any other way. We can combine our talents and help people to see what’s possible with music. I’m able to use that power of music and touch people for good. I’m no longer the student; I’m the teacher. It’s just been an amazing experience to do that,” Joy said.

Both Goldstein and Joy said they look forward to coming back to BYU.

“The spirit of BYU is really wonderful. I get thousands of people that I try to influence all in the same week to go back and do more missionary work. I’ve had some people in these classes for all of the 22 years,” Goldstein said.

For a class schedule visit educationweek.byu.edu.