How pro sports explain what’s wrong with politics

83

The last two games of the NFL play-offs were held this weekend, and the tactlessness of some of the players was astonishing. Richard Sherman’s emotional rant, Michael Crabtree’s refusal to shake hands and Wes Welker’s takeout of Aqib Talib were all classless acts that shame professional football. I’m from Colorado, and most of my friends are Broncos fans, though I know people who like each of the four teams. It shocked me how quick Broncos fans were to criticize the Seahawks’ Sherman while defending the illegal play of their own wide receiver, Welker. Only two out of hundreds of posts about the topic on Facebook from Broncos fans admitted that Welker had ignored the ball and gone right for Talib, an illegal play per Rule 8, Section 5, Article 2.

It’s disappointing that so many fans refuse outright to admit that their team might be guilty of anything. It struck me that the reaction of fans to their team is similar to the way people act when it comes to politics. When we become jaded in one aspect of life it spills over to others. We expect our politicians to compromise and work together, as long as we always get our way. Most people believe their party is always right on every issue. The fact is that partisanship doesn’t work and only makes enemies. The blind refusal to admit any kind of fault in one’s party or team only prevents people from solving problems or enjoying the game.

I’ve personally become less enamored with football after these incidents. Maybe, just maybe, it’s time to compromise and see the valid points the other side has, in both sports and politics.

Rob Versaw
Colorado Springs, Colo.