Track and field sprints through Sun Angel Classic

282

The track and field teams returned from the Sun Angel Classic in Arizona, after a great weekend of competition. The women represented with five new personal records, and the men blasted through with a strong showing from their sprinters.

Allysa Hansen set a new personal record in the 400-meter dash, followed by Ashleigh Warner in the 1500-meter race. Nicole Rudd Bringhurst also set a new personal record in the 400-meter and Lindsey Sowards Neilson and Jessica Hilton set new personal records in the 1500-meter.Anderson-Tara-400

For the men, Rhyan Atrice, Cade Lindahl and Mario Harper took the lead with the sprints. The meet was split up into two days, an open section on Friday and a premiere section on Saturday. Atrice took second in the 400 on Friday with Harper finishing in fourth, while Lindahl finished third in the premiere section on Saturday.

“I said a prayer, I put on my spikes and I ran faster,” Atrice said. “I was happy that I ran fast and that I didn’t injure myself.”

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team of John Lamont, Jacob Arslanian, Jason Hinds and Fan Fan Charles took third overall, finishing in 41.68.

The men’s pole vault also had a great showing with both Victor Weirich and Braydon Bringhurst clearing the 17 foot mark. Bringhurst set a new personal record with 17-01.00, and Weirich took first place in the premiere section with 17-07.00.

Jonathan Ferguson won the open section of the men’s long jump with a jump of 22-08.00. In the premiere section, John Glazier took third overall clearing a distance of 23-02.50 and Scott Matheson took sixth in the premiere section with a mark of 22-08.50.

In the women’s throws, Deezbaa Whaley finished fifth in the discus and sixth in the hammer throw with throws of 42.62m and 54.75m, respectively.

Next weekend the Cougars head to Sacramento State for the Mid Major Challenge at Hornet Stadium.