and

Fire breaks out at the Monte L. Bean Museum

By and on March 11, 2013.

Fire from welding sparks started a fire at The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum Monday morning.

The fire broke out at 11:10 a.m. and was quickly contained by the Provo City Fire Department.

External damages caused by fire at the Monte L. Bean Museum (Photo by Carla Da Silva)

A fire broke out at the Bean Museum Monday morning. No interior damage has been found, but external damage is being assessed. (Photo by Carla Da Silva)

The museum, closed since July, is undergoing a major renovation. Monday morning construction workers were welding on the second level of the building. The fire began when embers fell on the external wall insulation below.

A construction worker saw the fire when it broke out. He attempted to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher but realized it was too much to handle and left it to the fire department.

“No one was injured. There was no interior damage. However, the exterior damage is being assessed as of right now,” BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said.

 

Carla Da Silva

Carla Da Silva is a campus reporter and is majoring in journalism. Carla enjoys DIY projects and aspires to be an editor for a lifestyle magazine.

Latest posts by Carla Da Silva (Posts)