BYU women’s tennis dominates in season opener

201

The BYU women’s tennis team’s undefeated record against Weber State remained intact as the Cougars defeated the Wildcats 7–0 in the 2013 season opener on Saturday.

After Saturday’s win, BYU’s all-time record against the Weber State improved to 13–0.

The Cougars were dominant throughout the match against the Wildcats, winning all but one set.

“The girls came out and played really well today,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “They played with confidence and it’s a great way to start our season.”

The Cougars came out firing and took control early in doubles play. The BYU No. 1 double partnership of sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and freshman Nicolette Tran set the tone with their 8–3 win over Weber State’s Kristi Elmer and Thais Kurer. The No. 2 and No. 3 BYU doubles both picked up 8–2 wins in their matches.

On the singles side, BYU’s No. 1, sophomore Morgan Anderson, put away Weber State’s Ashley Tanner 6–2, 6–1 and the Cougars cruised the rest of the way.

“I was feeling really good,” Anderson said. “I think the team came out really strong. I think there’s some improvement; I need to do so in staying patient and working the points, but I think my serve carried me through the matches.”

Freshman Mackenna Maddox was especially dominant in her first match as a Cougar defeating Michelle Warwick, 6–0, 6–1.

The Wildcat’s Nittaya Phonharath put up the stiffest test for the Cougars against Nicolette Tran, but the freshman came back in the second set to win 6–3.

BYU now begins preparations for its home match next week against the Utah State Aggies who also started their season 1–0.

“Utah State will be a step up from Weber,” Anderson said. “We just wanna keep doing what we’re doing and setting the tone for future matches.”