Blog: Returning to BYU Basketball, Tyler Haws will look to create his own national craze

157

Cougar fans can finally stop wondering what “could have been” if Tyler Haws had been around to light up the NCAA College Basketball landscape along with Jimmer Fredette and Jackson Emery. Now they can focus instead on how Haws plans to shake off the rust when he returns to the court this fall.

Haws, who admits he wondered whether BYU could have taken things even further in 2010-2011, told Yahoo Sports nonetheless that he has no regrets for serving a two-year mission in the Phillipinnes while Jimmermania took over.

Tyler Haws, fresh off his mission to the Philippines, will be counted on this season to make the Cougars nationally relevant again. Photo by Elizabeth Hollingshaus

“I never felt any regret,” Haws said. “I was happy for what was going on at BYU, but I knew I was supposed to be in the Philippines. I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. That experience over there, those two years, will be something I reflect on the rest of my life.”

Now, sandwiched between a national craze for Jimmer and a campaign to land No.1 recruit and Mormon Jabari Parker, it’s his time to seize the spotlight and move the needle again nationally for the Cougars. Haws showed flashes before his mission, averaging 11.3 points per game while shooting 49.8% from the field, 36.8% from the three, and 91.7% from the stripe. His free-throw shooting was fourth best ever among freshmen nationally.

Haws will take the court with talented big men Brandon Davies and Nate Austin, as well as guards Matt Carlino and Craig Cusick. The team has added some foreign flavor with its youngsters this year, and another one of Danny Ainge’s sons, Cooper, will also join the team as a freshman.

Will BYU return to some semblance of national contention this year, enough so to lure Parker (who is considering a mission in addition to choosing a school)? First, they’ll have to take care of business against a top heavy West Coast Conference, where Gonzaga is still favored.

If they can unseat the Bulldogs, though, prepare for the 2012-2013 Cougars to make some noise. That is, if Haws can return to form.

“It was a pretty weird feeling  this summer playing pickup games again for the first time in a couple years,” Haws told Yahoo Sports. “I remember getting the ball and being like, ‘OK, what do I do with it? Am I supposed to dribble?’ Obviously it was rough at the start trying to find my game again and get back into it, but eventually it came back. I feel really comfortable right now.”