Presidential candidates duke it out in round two

131

Presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Barack Obama took questions from undecided voters during the second presidential debate on Tuesday, Oct. 16.

The town center in Hempstead, N.Y., was lively as the presidential candidates answered questions from both the audience and the moderator, Candy Crowley. Both candidates defended their stances on foreign and domestic policy. When asked by a member of the audience about debunking common misconceptions that the American people have about the candidates, Romney brought in his religion.

Republican Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama spar over energy policy during the second presidential debate at Hofstra University, Tuesday, Oct. 16, 2012, in Hempstead, N.Y. (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

“I believe in God, and I believe that we are all children of that God,” Romney said. “I believe we have a responsibility to care for one another.”

Romney continued by citing his work as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his work as a “pastor” in the Church. Romney explained what he has done to serve and care for the American people. He continued by accusing Obama of a failed administration, one that he said the American people know about.

“I think you know better,” Romney said. “I think you know the last four years haven’t been so good as the president just described. This is a president who has not been able to do what he said he would do.”

Obama defended himself by stating that he has done his role as president and has made efforts to achieve his goals.

“The commitments I’ve made, I’ve kept,” Obama said. “And those I haven’t been able to keep isn’t from lack of trying.”

Obama continued by calling Romney’s plan to create jobs a “sketchy deal,” one that has math that “doesn’t add up.” Obama discussed his various plans, also bringing up what he will offer to middle-class families.

“I want to give middle-class families and folks who are striving to get into the middle class some relief,” Obama said.

While Obama focused on middle-class families and advocating for women’s rights, Romney focused on jobs.

“For me this is about jobs,” Romney said. “I want to get America back working again. We don’t have to live like this; I can fix the economy.”

He continued by giving his credentials as a businessman and describing the future that he sees if Obama were to be re-elected.

“I know what it takes to balance budgets. I have done so my entire life,” Romney said. “If you elect President Obama you know what you’re going to get. You’ll get a repeat of the last four years.”

Obama quickly refuted Romney by accusing him of being unprepared with a plan to reduce the deficit and create jobs.

“We haven’t heard from the governor any specifics, beyond Big Bird and eliminating funding for Planned Parenthood, in terms of how he pays for that,” Obama said.

Crowley, the moderator, had a demanding presence as she ensured each candidate that they would “have time to talk about all of that later.”

The debate on foreign policy will continue next Monday, Oct. 22, during the final presidential debate in Boca Raton, Fla.