Warner Bros. casts vanishing curse on Harry Potter movies

198

The boy who lived may have survived numerous encounters with he-who-must-not-be-named over the seven-book, eight-movie series, but Harry Potter may have finally met his match.

News concerning the popular films and an unexpected move by Warner Bros. has been running rampant. According to Deadline Hollywood, Warner Bros. announced in an Oct. 24 news release that it will stop shipping DVD and Blu-ray copies of the Harry Potter films to retailers starting Dec. 29. However, the original Warner Brothers press release regarding the DVD news has yet to be posted to their website.

True or not, Harry Potter fans everywhere, and all over campus, are reacting to the news.

[media-credit name=”Chris Bunker” align=”alignleft” width=”225″][/media-credit]Nathan Cunliffe, a junior from Los Angeles, studying illustration is self described as “Harry Potter obsessed.”

“Harry Potter is pretty much my life,” he said. “I read the first book when I was eight and since then I’ve loved it. I read the books probably two or three times each summer. I have a set of robes, I have wands –it’s definitely a huge part of my life.”

Cunliffe said Warner Bros.’ decision to pull the movies causes him anxiety.

“It’s a little stressful because it’s like, oh my gosh, I have to get my set,” he said. “I’m sure they’re not going to get rid of them forever, but I’m a little troubled by it.”

Although Cunliffe already owns the Harry Potter DVDs back home in California, he said he still wants to get the “ultimate edition” Blu-ray set.

“The ultimate edition comes with the movie as well as bonus footage and behind the scenes info,” he said. “It’s like the nicest version of the Harry Potter movies that you can get.”

Cunliffe said although the movies are expensive, he’s willing to make a sacrifice to own them before they are taken off store shelves.

“I honestly think I’ll just charge it to my credit card, buy them all at once and pay it off slowly but surely,” he said. “Because it’s worth it to me to have all of them.”

Cunliffe said he is confused by Warner Bros.’ decision to pull the movies.

“I’m not sure what their plans are,” he said. “It seems really odd to be pulling them off the shelf when they’re already there. It’s just a really weird move on Warner Bros part.”

Another Harry Potter fan has an answer to explain Warner Bros.’ behavior.

Jillian Christensen, a senior from South Jordan, studying German, said she thinks Warner Bros’ decision to pull the popular films is an act to get more money.

“When they put movies in the vault it’s to create hype so that you buy them before they are unavailable,” she said. “Then when they release the brand new, extended version or collector’s edition, those who already own the DVDs still feel that they have to have the best, so they buy the new set with never before seen footage and bonus features.”

Christensen said she is upset about Warner Bros’ money-maker scheme.

“It’s all about profits,” she said. “It’s ridiculous.”

Despite the disappointing news, Harry Potter fans shouldn’t despair yet.

In their Sept. 29 news release, Warner Bros said, “Hard-core Potter fans will be pleased to know that 2011 is not the end of the Harry Potter film franchise on DVD and Blu-ray. Warner Home Video plans to release a comprehensive Harry Potter film collection, with even more extras and collectible premiums in 2012.”