Orientation: Finding help in a major choice

95

By MONICA CHAVES

Deciding a major during freshman year can be an overwhelming task to many students, but BYU students do not have to make such an important decision alone.

Weston Hawkings, a Middle East studies/Arabic student, said he had already chosen his major before coming to BYU.

“After the Sept. 11 attack, I knew I wanted to study something about the Middle East,” Hawkings said. “I was fascinated by Arab culture.”

Hawkings said choosing a major was easy, but for some the decision isn’t as easy. Last year, there were 2,780 students with undeclared majors. With more than 130 majors, BYU provides a vast number of options.

Karen Evans, a coordinator at the University Advisement Center, said there are several reasons for such indecision.

“Students may have so many interests it may be hard for them to decide just one major,” Evans said. “Another reason might be that the student has a particular major he wants, but has been denied to it. Others have a hard time making a decision, because they think their major may not lead to the career they want.”

Evans said BYU students have numerous resources to help them. The first one is the University Advisement Center, where students can talk to a trained adviser. She said in cases where students have an area in mind, they might talk to advisers in specific college advisement centers, faculty and professionals. They may also enroll in a Career Exploration class (STDEV 117).

Evans said students who are interested in two majors may choose one as a major and the other one as a minor; however, it is always good to talk to an adviser.

“Some students take too long to decide, while others decide too soon, without exploring their options,” Evans said.

Vanessa Koch Santos, a genetics and biotechnology student, had a counselor help her follow the best path.

“It took me a year to decide my major,” she said. “A counselor helped me choose my emphasis, and helped me plan my schedule.”

Whatever decision students make, it is important to know about new BYU policies. Students with undeclared majors must declare one before they reach 75 BYU credits, and cannot switch majors after reaching 90 BYU credits without petitioning the university.

Evans said the policies are “to help the students, not to punish them.”

“We want students to choose a major to help them have a plan, accomplish a goal and allow other students to come to the university,” Evans said.