Women’s basketball excited to compete in WCC

148

Switching to the West Coast Conference for women’s basketball has been considered across the board as a positive thing by both BYU and its future opponents, including Gonzaga’s coach, Kelly Graves.

Graves, who served an LDS mission before playing with the University of New Mexico’s basketball team, shared his feelings about BYU as a new opponent.

[media-credit name=”Photo by Mariangela Mazzei” align=”alignleft” width=”214″][/media-credit]
BYU's Mindy Bonham shoots against Pepperdine.
“I’m really excited. I’m a Utah kid and been following BYU since I was a little boy,” he said in a news release. “Ironically, Jeff Judkins, who is the [BYU] women’s basketball coach, was one of my heroes when I was a kid. He and I have become good friends so I’m excited about it. I think it’s a great move, a high profile school that fits in a lot of ways in what we believe in and do in the WCC.”

As for the team, the switch seems to bring on new excitement. Returning forward Kristen Riley from San Clemente, Calif., talked about their excitement for the new conference.

“Of course we’re going to miss [the MWC], but it will be exciting to see what they have to give us,” Riley said.

The top two schools in the conference last season were No. 18 Gonzaga, which finished 14-0 in conference play and a record-breaking 29-5 overall, and Saint Mary’s, Calif., which went 12-2 in conference play and 21-10 overall.

Gonzaga, known primarily for its men’s basketball program, continues to be the team to beat on the women’s side as well.

Judkins spoke on a new kind of rivalry this might bring.

“I don’t know who will be the best, but they [Gonzaga] have won the past few years and may be the biggest rival,” Judkins said. “They’re a Catholic school, we’re a Mormon school; it should be exciting.”

Historically, Judkins and his BYU team have done well against WCC teams.

Last season, BYU came out 3-0 when playing WCC teams, with wins against San Francisco (72-60), Portland (69-57) and Peperdine (62-58).

BYU is scheduled to play at Gonzaga on Dec. 21. The Cougars will also face future WCC foe San Diego at the Hukilau Invitational on BYU-Hawaii’s campus on Dec. 4, and could face Saint Mary’s in the St. Mary’s Tournament on Nov. 27.

While there is much to look forward to with the upcoming changes, Judkins and his team are not looking past this season. With five returning seniors, this year’s team is looking to leave a mark on the MWC.

“We want to leave with a bang,” Riley said.