Three BYU Graduates Vie for Nomination

147

By Veronica Scheidler

Rep. Chris Cannon faces stiff competition from fellow graduates of his alma mater as he contends against David Leavitt and Jason Chaffetz for the Republican nomination for Utah”s 3rd District congressional seat.

The 3rd District congressional seat spans long I-15 from Beaver to West Jordan.

Cannon, Leavitt and Chaffetz, all graduates of BYU, are taking its maxim, “go forth to serve,” into the political realm. Each candidate sited his BYU education as being influential in guiding his life.

“My BYU education was a very formative part of my life,” Leavitt said. “It strengthened what my parents had taught me, that the purpose of life was to serve.”

Leavitt is most well known for his prosecution of polygamist Tom Green while serving as Juab County Attorney.

“BYU was profoundly important in the way I framed my view of the world and my obligations to the world,” Cannon said. When asked why he was seeking his seventh term, he said, “because experience counts. I feel an obligation to continue.”

Cannon”s projects this past congressional session have included working to safeguard intellectual property. He is particularly concerned with curtailing “phishing,” the practice of posing as a bank to steal financial information through the Internet. Because phishing is most successful when e-mails are plastered with bank trademarks, Cannon seeks to make trademark misuse criminal.

Yet trademark laws will not likely be a red button issue in this race.

“My voting record is fiscally one of the most conservative in congress,” Cannon said. He argued that a tighter budget would be achieved not by replacing existing Republican congressmen but through ousting Democrats and regaining a Republican majority.

Leavitt, however, doesn”t seem to share Cannon”s view.

“I”m running because I believe that the Republicans have forgotten how to lead,” Leavitt said.

He also advocates a return to what he calls America”s traditional values, which he believes include not relying on the federal government to provide needs, strengthening family, spending less.

He especially emphasized that America was founded upon religious principles and that most of its citizens believe in some form of deity. He said he believes it is essential to stop regarding religiosity as “kooky.”

“The brightest burning issue is that the government is spending itself silly,” Leavitt said. He further elaborated that the national debt equals 95 percent of the collective assets of American citizens.

Chaffetz, who served two years as Gov. Jon Huntsman”s chief of staff, came from California to Provo to play for BYU”s football team in 1985 and has remained in the valley since. His association with the students at BYU influenced his decision to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints shortly after his graduation.

Chaffetz also named fiscal discipline as one of the most important issues this campaign. Under a Republican administration, the government has expanded the budget to $2.9 trillion, Chaffetz said.

Chaffetz said he hopes to see Cannon removed from office this election.

“I think Mr. Cannon fails,” Chaffetz said.

He regards himself as Cannon”s polar opposite in the issue of education. Chaffetz attacked Cannon for voting in favor of No Child Left Behind. He also argues that there should be no board of education.

In regards to immigration, he said the issue has “gotten worse not better.”

“We”ve got to lock down the border,” Chaffetz said.

All candidates would like to increase the number of volunteers involved in their campaigns. Anyone interested in the candidates” politics can get more information from their respective Web sites.