Readers’ Forum April 3, 2007

133

Pleasing Donald Trump

I was rather disappointed this weekend when I logged onto byu.edu and read the business school was hosting a competition “that would make Donald Trump proud.” Perhaps I missed the memo, but when did the Marriott School start priding itself in pleasing rich, narcissistic, corrupt businessmen who, in their spare time, participate in professional wrestling pay-per-views? I cringe to think the Marriott School’s focus has shifted from “attract[ing], develop[ing], and plac[ing] men and women of faith, character and professional ability who will become outstanding leaders” to aiming to please those who peddle get-rich-quick schemes and self-aggrandizement. Certainly the university’s and school’s namesakes – Brigham Young, J. Willard Marriott and N. Eldon Tanner – would be ashamed of promoting competitions aimed at gaining recognition from men such as Trump.

Christopher Jones

Plano, Texas

Shady Summer Sales

The perennial debate of the summer sales sub-culture heats up as the season gets closer. There seems to be a love-’em or hate-’em attitude about our pink polo wearing, free pizza wielding, luxury car driving brothers. Why is this? Is it because every recruit is told he is the next $80,000 producer when the average first year salesman, who finishes the summer, makes $13,000 to $16,000?

Is it because the alarm guys don’t tell you you’re selling a three- to five-year contract to someone who must have a credit score higher than the national average? Is it because you’re not told being classified as an “Independent Contractor” will require you to pay 7.65 percent more tax than a normal employee with a W-2? Is it because end of summer checks are always less than expected? Is it because if the technician is negligent the salesman doesn’t get paid? Is it because when the recruiter sees you he sees dollar signs? Is it because so often it feels like the philosophies of men mingled with scripture?

Simply, “Yes.” Why then would anyone do summer sales? After being in the industry for a couple of years, I think the answer lies somewhere in who you work for, and who you work with. This summer I plan to, again, be one of “those guys.”

Marshall Mortley

Albuquerque, N.M.

Tired of Honor Debate

Enough about the Honor Code already. Granted, most high school students dream of the day when they don’t have to listen to their parents telling them what to do. It can be a shock to come to BYU and find out the “under my roof” rule still exists. Guess what? After you graduate and go out into the world, your employer will tell you what to do instead. Some even ban facial hair.

Why is the Honor Code so difficult? It can theoretically be stretched to the limit to cover anything and everything. Is it, though? When was the last time you were reported for skipping class? What parts of the code would you ignore if you could? Honesty? Modesty? Word of Wisdom? Chastity? We all chose to come to BYU for different reasons; the most common is the atmosphere on campus. Without the code, a small minority would erase that atmosphere within days. Hang out at any state university if you need proof.

Keeping the Honor Code should not be a problem for faithful, active LDS students. If you are able to honestly obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement, it shouldn’t be an issue. (Facial hair may not affect your salvation, but is it that important to have?)

Finally, you do not become an adult by turning 18 or moving out of your parents’ home. It happens when you act like an adult instead of demanding to be treated like one.

Melissa Fuhriman

Santaquin

ID Check Skits

There is this funny little thing that happens at BYU registers called the credit card ID check. I remember a time when BYU didn’t make its employees check my ID; we were young and innocent back then. Starting a few semesters ago, the freshmen behind the registers started asking me, “Can I see your ID?” The first time caught me so off guard, I stared the poor kid down and growled, “It’s…53…cents”, after which he backed down and I went on my way. Seriously – would I risk imprisonment for identity theft over a banana?

Shortly thereafter, I began using my husband’s credit card at the registers. Right on cue, the “sales associate” asked for my ID, and when I handed it over, she frowned at it thoughtfully, compared it to the credit card and handed them back. Now, I can understand, if my husband had a girly name, that maybe I could pass off the credit card as mine-but a masculine name like Ben? I’m not really the type of girl who gets mistaken for a man, which says to me the employees don’t even look at the name or signature on the card. If they don’t even check to make sure it’s your card, then the whole thing is really just a skit to make people think they care about identity theft. Which I’m fine with.

I think it’s cute.

Whitney Bangerter

Meridian, Idaho

Music Piracy Not Funny

In response to “Sympathy for music pirates” (March 30) I just wanted to say; your offense at being called an “illegal music downloader” gave me a great idea. Let’s change every title that makes people uncomfortable with their actions. Drug dealers could be called “amateur pharmacists,” and child molesters and rapists “minor social deviants.” It is called illegal downloading because it is illegal. Music piracy is stealing. For the many people who think it’s a victimless crime, here’s an example. Imagine your boss (assuming you have a job, I mean you can’t afford to pay 99 cents for a song) told you, “Thanks for working 40 hours last week, but I’m not going to pay you.” Unfair? Yet there’s no problem in ripping off honest record companies, who put in the time and get…nothing. The music industry is really starting to feel the pinch. Every record company in the nation is downsizing due to the loss of revenue that the extreme increase in music piracy is causing. Why don’t you go tell the 1,000-plus employees of Virgin Records that got laid off last year that stealing music is no big deal? See what they think.

So, to all music pirates who feel discriminated against, in your quest to “just seek entertainment” (like those minor social deviants), I’m so sorry BYU’s inability to look the other way while you break the Honor Code, federal law and the eighth commandment is making you uncomfortable. Life’s tough.

Dane Clifford Nielson

Orem

WEB LETTERS

Misplaced Concerns

I’m confused by the accusations of many in these letters. They constantly refer to a hypothetical situation in which Congresswoman Pelosi or Sen. Reid would be asked to speak and assuming “liberals” would rejoice (often assuming anyone who apposes Vice President Cheney’s visit here is a Democrat). The reality is more likely that Republicans are engaged in an incestuous love and unconditional acceptance for anyone from the GOP.

Could it not be that the BYU Democrats and others opposing Cheney’s visit are honestly standing up for a moral cause and not for the partisan crusade that many are trying to make it? I ask all who question the Dem’s motives go to www.byudemocrats.org to find more accurate goals and motivations instead of spouting off with xenophobic rhetoric.

Eric Harker

Vancouver, Wash.

The church’s political neutrality is irrelevant to Vice President Cheney’s invitation to speak at graduation. Those who think differently must realize Cheney is not addressing the BYU students as a Republican. I am quite confident he will not even mention his political affiliation or request your endorsement thereof. Rather, Vice President Cheney is addressing the students as the Vice President of the United States. What a great honor for such a position to come to the university. His address to graduates is not about politics. It’s about graduation and having an impact on the world. Surely this graduation is one instance in which we can look past bipartisan politics.

Derwin D. Shelley

New Haven, Conn.