Sicilian poet releases new book

37

By JESSICA DAVIS

Sicilian born scholar and poet Alex Caldiero is far from home, yet his exotic poetic performances run over with free-flowing movement and rhyme, all inspired by the traditions of his native soil.

Caldiero, who is scheduled to perform January 9 at Ken Sanders Rare Books has recently released a new creative publication entitled “One Year From Later: Recent Works and Quirks,” a collection of performance poetry. This book is a result of years of effort, and Caldiero performs the included poetry using a variety of instruments and methods influenced by beat poetry, and the Dada movement along with many folk traditions of the Mediterranean.

“I use very ancient means such as chant, story-telling, movement, the word in all its capacities and I pretty much with these ancient means express what I am going through and what I’m experiencing as a person being alive today,” Caldiero said.

Caldiero’s journey through life has taken him a long way from the ancient town of Licodia Eubea, near Catania in Sicily. While currently working as a professor of Philosophy and Humanities in Orem, Caldiero once traveled Sicily, Turkey and Greece collecting proverbs and tales. He is also a founder of Arba Sicula, the society for the preservation of the Sicilian language and traditions.

Caldiero appeared in the independent motion picture “Plan Ten From Outer Space” and has performed at locations such as the New School for Social Research, the Pritchard Art Gallery and the Salt Lake Art Center.

When asked about his performances, Caldiero warns that people should come with open minds and should be ready for the unexpected.

“The element of surprise is very vital to what I do, and so I’m always hoping to surprise people and to make them wonder and kind of be aware of what is going on through my work,” Caldiero said.

Caldiero’s poetry and performances come from the heart as much as from cultural traditions. His involvement is internal and drawn from the passion of life and experience.

“It’s not like deciding on buying a car or a new wardrobe… I think that this is not the kind of thing you make a decision to do, it kind of stirs within you and you kind of let it grow or it doesn’t,” Caldiero said.

Caldiero’s performance of poetry will begin at 7:00 p.m. tonight. Ken Sanders Rare Books will host him at 268 South 200 East, Salt Lake. The performance is free to the public. For more information on Cadiero’s work, visit www.wordshaker.com.