Top ten Cougar teams we wish we could have played for

30

By Jared Lloyd

10. 1991 Track and Field: Just to get into the starting blocks next to track legend Frankie Fredericks would be a moment to remember. When watching him at the Olympics later, I could say I ran right with him . . . at least until the starting gun.

9. 1987-88 Men”s basketball, 26-6: BYU started the season 17-0, including an 18-point beating of Utah. I would”ve liked to get in for the last few minutes to rub it in a little.

8. 2001-02 Women”s basketball, 24-9: Destroying Florida, then coming back from ten points down to upset the host Iowa State Cyclones in the NCAA Tournament would”ve been thrilling. In the loss to Tennessee, though, I would have missed twice as many outside shots.

7. 1981 Men”s golf: Richard Zokol teed off the final hole with his team three strokes ahead and held on to give BYU their first official NCAA Title in any sport. My 195-yard drives probably wouldn”t have made the cut, though.

6. 1996-97 Football, 14-1: Can anything beat a 37-17 win over Utah, an overtime victory over Wyoming in the inaugural WAC Championship Game, and a goal line stand to knock off Kansas State in BYU”s first New Year”s Day bowl game?

5. 1950-51 Men”s Basketball, 28-9: Mel Hutchins and Roland Minson lead the Cougars to win the National Invitational Tournament. I could”ve thrown around-the-back passes with the Cougar Globetrotters, although mine probably would”ve ended up in the cheap seats.

4. 1997 Women”s cross country, 7 first place finishes in 9 races: I would love to be on that team, although I would probably be the non-qualifier even if they gave me a golf cart.

3. 1999 Men”s volleyball, 30-1: How sweet the revenge would be to face Long Beach State in the championship match and destroy them, thus paying them back for the Cougars” only loss of the season. The team lost only 14 games the whole year.

2. 1984 Football, 13-0: It would”ve been quite a ride to be with the cardiac Cougars as they came from behind to win the National Championship, even as the water boy.

1. 1996-97 Men”s basketball, 1-25: The Cougars had so many injuries and problems that season… it”s probably the only BYU team I ever might have had a chance of actually playing on.