Senioritis strikes upperclassmen

76

By Whitney Ransom

While some students have come down with the flu this semester, a number of seniors have contracted senioritis instead.

“Do I have Senioritis? Yes, very much so. Since my junior year I”ve had it,” said Rachel Koch, 21, a senior from Las Vegas, majoring in sociology.

BYU statistics show that approximately 43 percent of the student body is comprised of seniors, said Karen Evans, Coordinator, Open Major Advisement Center/Counseling and Career Center.

The number of seniors that actually have senioritis is uncertain.

One student, who recently came down with senioritis, explained that senioritis may happen at any given time.

” If you would have asked me last semester if I had senioritis, I would have said no. This semester, definitely yes,” said Dave Haynie, 23, a senior from Sandy, Utah majoring in finance.

Seniors give various definitions for senioritis. Several senior students have associated senioritis with the words ”tunnel” and ”light”.

Senioritis is “when you see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you”re not there yet. You want to take a break, but it”s not time,” said Sarah Mackay, 22, a senior from Salt Lake City majoring in vocal pedagogy.

Some of the symptoms that are associated with senioritis are lack of motivation, difficulties getting out of bed in the morning, decreases in GPA and low classroom attendance.

“The biggest thing that shows I have senioritis is that I have missed more classes this semester than last semester all together,” Haynie said.

Some students take longer than fours years to earn their bachelor degree, which gives ample time for senioritis to set,

said Elizabeth Osborne, 23, a senior from Anchorage, Alaska majoring in pre-law.

Not every student has senioritis. Becky Johnson, 21, a senior from Preston, Idaho majoring in elementary education, is sad that her classes will soon come to an end and gives counsel to undergraduates.

“Enjoy college. It”s definitely been some of the best years of my life. They will be memories that I will cherish forever.”

Although senioritis may sink in, seniors continue to go to school for various reasons such as better job opportunities, greater education, the feeling of accomplishment and knowing that the tests will come to an end said Jenni Mitchell, 22, a senior from Woods Cross, Utah majoring in finance.

“You know you”re finally going to get that piece of paper that says that you did it,” Mackay said.

Once a person has contracted senioritis, there are a variety of ways to get motivated again.

“You have to get in that mind frame to graduate. That”s how we do it in my family. We stress the importance of learning. It can help you as far as being a mother,” Koch said.

Thomas Simpson, 25, a senior from Wayeross, Georgia, majoring in political science cannot afford to get senioritis because he knows that he has to do well his senior year in order to get into a good graduate school.

Some students want to do well in school, regardless of whether they have to apply for graduate school later on.

“It”s a personal thing. I”m a perfectionist. I can”t stand to do mediocre work,” said Bridget Blair, 23, a senior from Hyde Park majoring in near eastern studies.

There are definitely some advantages to being a senior.

“I feel like I have a lot of experience under my belt. I know how to take better advantage of what is here,” Haynie said.

Another advantage of being a senior is being able to share advice.

Students shouldn”t declare a major until they know what they want to do, said Karen Brown, 24, senior from Trabuco Canyon, California majoring in math.

Students should also take an assortment of General Education classes to have exposure to a variety of majors, Brown said.

Senioritis? – ” When you see the light at the end of the tunnel, but you”re not there yet. You can see it, but you”re not ready to take a break yet,”

Motivates – Want to go on and get more schooling.

Best things -4.5 years – I had some confusion for a while about how I wanted to go about paying for school. I couldn”t get financial aid, work purposes.