Letter to the Editor: One-strapped book bags not inappropriate

563

Dear Editor,

I am writing this letter in response to an opinion printed on Tuesday entitled “Attractive Modesty”. The letter was written by some boys who repeated several times that their intent was not to be critical but rather to “heighten awareness” about negative worldly fashions. Yet, by saying anything at all, they instantly became critical. In response, I have two points to make.

The first is that one of the issues they mentioned concerned that of “the defining single-strap book bag worn across the chest.” I just have to say that the manner in which one chooses to carry his or her books has nothing to do with personal modesty and little to do with being worldly. I don’t know of you’ve read yor “For Strenght of Youth” pamphlet lately, but I am pretty sure it doesn’t say “Thou shalt not purchase or utilize a single strapped book bag that might send wrong messages to the opposite gender.” Good grief! Are we going to have to stop wearing seat belts that come across the chest too?

The second point that I would like to make is that people need to police themselves. The honor code is an issue of personal integrity, we all signed it and are all well aware of what it entails. It’s a matter of PERSONAL integrity and there’s nothing you can do to enforce it.

Gentlemen, stop giving your unsolicited advice concerning our apparel.

You make more of a negative impact on us when you criticize — you come across as judgmental and unable to control your own thoughts. A louder statement would be to not date the girls that dress “inappropriately”. But since I don’t see that happening, I hardly think any of you have a point. Be mature. Get your mind out of the gutter and calm down, my one strapped book bag was not meant to distract your “pure” minds.

Stephanie Davis

Kirkland, Wash.