New ramps and traffic signal in plans for I-15

26

By Fiona Ricker

Construction crews are continuing to widen Interstate 15 from the Springville Interchange to Provo Center Street.

“It’s needed to be widened for years,” said Grant Wiley, a Utah Department of Transportation project engineer who oversaw the initial phase of the project.

According to the UDOT Web site, the project includes widening I-15 to six lanes, reconstructing and widening bridges at University Avenue, 600 South, 920 South and Provo Center Street and the completion of ramps at the I-15 interchange at University Avenue.

Last weekend, the southbound University Avenue on-ramp to southbound I-15 was closed, allowing crews to complete excavation, grading and paving work.

Ramp closures on weekdays will normally take place during overnight hours, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., and may be scheduled for up to 34 consecutive hours on weekends.

On mainline I-15, work is continuing on the new alignment behind the barrier in the southbound lanes and barrier work in the northbound lanes.

“The barriers are for safety purposes. There are drop-offs behind the barriers where we’re excavating,” said UDOT Project Engineer Brian Phillips.

When construction is complete, there will be a permanent barrier down the median, he said.

All lanes are open during the daytime hours, but northbound and/or southbound I-15 may be restricted to one lane during overnight hours.

One westbound lane on Center Street underneath I-15 is closed at all times, while 600 South and 920 South underneath I-15 remain open.

New ramps to connect 1860 South with northbound and southbound I-15, and a traffic signal at 1860 South 150 West, are also in the works.

The project contractor is Granite Construction Company, and a completion date is set for December 2001.

Crews will work on it continually until then, Phillips said.

The speed limit is reduced to 55 mph throughout the three-mile project for safety reasons.

“Folks need to slow down a bit, give themselves some extra room,” Phillips said.